MID - AUTUMN FESTIVAL






Hello Everyone,

This Sunday 27th of September is the Mid-Autumn Festival - a Chinese celebratory holiday event. Having moved to Australia when I was one, my parents made it an effort to celebrate the big, big Chinese holiday events such as Chinese New Year, in hopes that my sister and I would not forget our roots.

When the Mid-Autumn Festival comes around, people often associate this holiday with moon cakes and lanterns, as a family we have those things too, but the important thing for us is that we're all gathered together having a good meal. The food obviously varies from year to year, but we make an effort to make sure that our family can really sit down and celebrate together,

As a child, I had many fond memories of this particular holiday, my cousins, my sister and I playing with the lanterns after dinner, running around in the backyard. Secretly, burning stuff and putting them out with water since it was the only time we were given a free pass to play with matches.

To this day I am still thankful that my parents insisted that we celebrate Chinese holidays as well, I mean just more holidays and fun stuff for me - but personally, I think that it is important that everyone celebrates events that are culturally significant to them. 

Anyways, thanks for reading and please leave a comment on some of the significant holidays from your culture that you celebrate around this time of year and any funny memories you have with it.

中秋節快樂 - Happy Mid Autumn Festival



#TAG

Comments

Popular Posts